the domestiC AcTresS

Stay at home with the cats... or act on stage. My lifelong dilemma.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Had a rather eventful day last Sunday. Eventful for all the wrong reasons. Let me explain. At 9 am, I was still blissfully asleep (it's not often that I get to sleep in so late). At 9.01 am, one of my cats decided he had had enough and sat on my head miaowing. At 9.04 am, I was up feeding them when I realised that it was really windy and that half the clothes I had put on the roof on Saturday evening had probably been blown away.

So up I ran, finding, as I feared, a couple of shirts on the floor. Imma insomma... As I went inside to the washroom, I felt a little sting. And there on my left palm, was erm... a sting, presumably from a bee or wasp.


As people who read my article in the 'Weekender' the day before, which dealt with bee and wasp stings amongst other things, (ironic, eh?!) now know, I am allergic to bites and stings. Oh dear... I tried to get the sting out with a disinfected needle but no luck. So the hubbie took me to the polyclinic (closed) and then dropped me off at St Luke's as he had to go in to work. By this time, my palm was really swollen and my arm was almost completely numb.

Now, the last time I had got stung, was in Florida - outside one of the entrances to Disneyworld of all places! The first aid people there had been brilliant. They took the sting out, gave me cream and ice to put on it and really took care of me. So hubby and I presumed that the same would happen at the hospital. They'd take the sting out, pat me on the head and I could get a bus home.

But alas, as soon as I told them I was allergic to stings and bites, they sent me in to 'door 3' where I met one of my lovely cousins who is a doctor there and who took me under his figurative wing. Then, I was stuck with a needle-like thing (venflon?) in my right arm. They took blood just in case. Then I had, not one, but two injections... and after those, I was put on a DRIP! And those of you who know me know that I have a big childhood trauma/phobia of DRIPS! But I must say I was very brave. By that time, my dad was there too because he was supposed to come over to my house to put up a trellis, so he came to pick me up.

They wanted to keep me there until 2 pm, but at 1 pm, I had had enough. I got up (still with needly thing in arm) and announced that I wanted to leave! They told me I could if I could walk about without feeling dizzy or fainting, so I did. Hurrah! Actually, even though I was there for over 3 hours, I have nothing but praise for the hospital staff. They were really professional, nice, polite and informative when I asked them my 101 questions (just nerves you see!)

Now I'm onanti-histamine pills just in case for the rest of the week. And the sting is still in my palm as it was too small to get out. But it should dissolve on its own I guess. And I'm alive, alive I tell you! Sorry...

In other news... hubby and I are busy painting walls and such all day. So, happy public holiday to you and think of me covered in paint *sigh*.

6 Comments:

  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger MaltaGirl said…

    Oh miskina :-S

    When I went in because of my allergic reaction on New Year's Eve, I spent the worst of it sitting all alone, clutching my stomach and wondering if I was going to stop breathing while Mike tracked down a doctor... but no needles thank goodness. Glad that you're OK, and prosit for being so brave!

    I am writing this to the sound of the sea lapping the shore fifty feet to my right, the cool breeze coming in through the screen door ruffling the wedding magazines on the coffee table, and not a lick of wet paint to be seen... *ducks*

    Insomma, next summer I will be doing plenty of painting etc, and then YOU can gloat as you sit in your redecorated house!

     
  • At 6:44 PM, Blogger Coemgen said…

    Hope you're gettin well the speedy way!

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Hsejjes said…

    Miskina! Poor Reesa! I hope that you are better today. But I think the correct word is Ventflow. Maybe Coemgen can correct me? Tee hee. And watching paint dry is very interesting ta!!! *ducks from flying paint brush*
    And seeing that Maltagirl has posted also, may I quote Bill Shakespear to you.
    "When shall we three meet again, in thunder lightening or in rain?"

     
  • At 10:40 AM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Thanks for all the good wishes! And paint-related ones too... *chucks paint brush up in the air as painting-time in Casa Reesa is officially over*.

     
  • At 11:40 PM, Blogger Coemgen said…

    Really it's called a cannula. The venflo(n) is one of them brand names like thermos, biro, cutix, hoover, telecell.......the list is never ending!

     
  • At 10:48 PM, Blogger sharonspiteri said…

    oh my goodness... what did you do to the Pea? She must have stung you... she is the Queen Pea after all

    (I'm sure you'll get that but for the ones who might not: Queen Pea/Queen Bee)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home