the domestiC AcTresS

Stay at home with the cats... or act on stage. My lifelong dilemma.

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Go go go Gozo!


Hubby and I finally enjoyed a long-awaited - and well-deserved - break in Gozo last weekend... oh how wonderful it was to stay in a place where I didn't have to worry about domestic things, were I wasn't woken up by pussycats sitting on my head miaowing for food, where I had no access to a computer so I couldn't do any work even if I had wanted to, where I didn't have to think about cooking or cleaning or, best of all, going to rehearsals hehehe!

All in all, it was 3 days of bliss. Highlights included:


  1. The service. I tell you, most Maltese tourism industry workers have something to learn from their Gozitan counterparts. Everywhere we went (with one exception), we were met with a smile and treated courteuosly. There was one waiter at Churchill Pizzeria in Xlendi and one waitress at D-Bar in Qala (more on that place later) who were so nice that they made us feel really special even though these are far from 5-star restaurants. And almost every restaurant and bar menu has a page giving the history of the place which I thought was a nice touch.
  2. The food. One of hubby's Gozitan friends had suggested D-Bar as a place to eat, mainly for their fabulous rack of ribs (hubby's favourite). So we went there on the Friday as we were told that it would be packed on Saturdays. Now, D-Bar is erm.. a bar, found on the side of the Qala Church! However seven or eight tables have been put outside, literally on the pavement. So let me just say from the outset that if you are looking for a restaurant with amazing views (aaaaaaand, more on that even later!) and silver service, your search will not end here. In fact, from our table, I could feed the occupants whizzing by in their cars just by stretching my arm out had I wanted to! But the food... ah, the food was something else! The ribs were excellent and the 'secret sauce' they use was just yummy. My chicken in cognac sauce was perfect and the consistency of the sauce was just right. And, although the menu warned that the food might take a while, not even 20 minutes passed between our ordering and the food arriving on the table. Will definately be going back there again!
  3. The shopping. I know, I know... it's Gozo not London. But I felt like I was on holiday abroad! I found a few bargains at Arkadia and am now the proud owner of a beige pair of casual linen trousers, 2 t-shirts, new make up and some lovely smelly stuff from the Body Shop.
  4. The swimming. I don't swim very often. Or rather, I don't go in the sun without tons of sun cream and loads of covering-up clothes because I burn really easily. So it was wonderful to find a small pebbled cove below cliffs which gave natural shade and were I could swim to my hearts content without actually venturing into the sun. And, best of all there were only three other people there!

Oh, and we also got to meet Scottish comedian Billy Connelly outside our hotel!

When we came back on Sunday afternoon, we were totally ignored by the cats - who had had a wonderful time being spoilt by my parents - until we gave them some tuna of course. Can't wait to go back. After we save up again. And lose some weight (we both put on a bit!)

Yesterday was my mum's birthday so we went to the Blue Creek restaurant in Ghar Lapsi. Another success (except that it started raining half way through the meal and we had to go inside!) with absolutely amazing views, good service, great food and real value-for-money. I really want to go back there one time for lunch. I think May would be the best so I have decided that we shall go there for the Pea's next birthday - ok, Pea?!

5 Comments:

  • At 4:47 PM, Blogger sharonspiteri said…

    oh my goodness... i read this piece with a pang... this would have been the weekend i babysat with the nephews... and the weekend you would have prepared a laminated sheet of instructions so that i can find my way round the house... gozooooo i miss it so much! i want to go to gozo!!!

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Hehehe re: laminated sheet. Although it wasn't actually laminated. I di leave a page of instructions on how to feed the cats (and tree) for my parents on the fridge! Hubby laughed and laughed at me, miskin. Yes, it was wonderful! The cats miss you!

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Hsejjes said…

    OMG! Billy Connelly in Gozo?!!! OMG!!! Just finished reading his biography, and also watched two of his cds a dozen times. I am dead jealous!!!

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Yep, apparently he has a house there!

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'm in total agreement. i love blue creek. the food can do with some improvement but i go there for the view and the proximity to home!!! so YAYAYAY!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home