the domestiC AcTresS

Stay at home with the cats... or act on stage. My lifelong dilemma.

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Saturday Night's Alright for Kvetching

Went to watch MADC's 'Kvetch' (comedy by Steven Berkoff) last night . Maltagirl and Mike were there too , as well as the Pea and her hubby *waves*. It was fun and very 'naughty' (one scene in particular!)! Alan Montanaro, Izzy Warrington, Vanessa Attard, Edward Degaetano and Chris X. Grech all did very well. Edward was a bit young for the role he played but I was quite impressed to see him carry it off nonetheless!

I love Berkoff and always make it a point to watch any of his plays presented locally. 'Kvetch' is very well-written and funny in a 'black, wicked humour' kinda way. It is also very, very technical. Or rather, the director Frederick Testa chose to direct it in a way which really made the lighting essential. Basically, whenever the characters were 'thinking' to themselves, the light changed completely. Sometimes we only knew that a certain character was thinking (ie) not talking aloud because of the light changes. Which meant that they had to be perfect. However, especially in the first act, they very often weren't perfect, which spoilt it a bit for me. Basically, I am of the opinion that if you are going to rely so heavily on the light cues, they have to be 100% perfect. (90% is good... but not good enough!) Yes, I am a stickler for these things.

Anyway, that bugged me! Otherwise, I found the direction tight (although I do think it was played too much for laughs) and the acting good. Oh, and the way they turned the table into a bed was pure genius!

Yesterday, we were also invited to the opening of Lisa Falzon's exhibition at St James Cavalier so we went there straight after the Manoel. I love Lisa's work - it is so refreshing to find an artist of her age with such an amazing 'black' sense of humour. We had never met face-to-face (ony through email), so it was really nice to meet her 'properly' at last!

Her exhibition is fantastic. It is called 'The Secret' and runs until the 5th May and I really, really suggest you check it out. Hubby fell in love with one of her paintings called 'The Green-Eyed Monster' but it was already sold. However, there is another one we both fell in love with and really want to get. But *sigh* we have the spiza of the blessed bathroom (one week to go!) this month. So, if there are any benfactors out there who would like to get me a Lisa Falzon original for Easter... hehehe just joking (unless Bill Gates is reading this, in which case, he can get me the whole exhibition).

4 Comments:

  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger sharonspiteri said…

    Isn't she just fantastic? I rave about her to everyone. Lisa Falzon I mean. Thank goodness for the net *grin* I can see her new work on her site because otherwise I'd be ITCHING... I want Scorpina, The Window and the Time He Spent At Sea, The Nightingale but most of all Il-Verdun!!!! I want, I want, I want *stamps foot for emphasis and because she is a spoilt brat* Go on then Cor ghamilli gabra! (Do you know if she does prints for poor migrants like me who cannot really afford to move a painting all over the place?)

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boo - you stole my night! I also planned to Kvetch the evening away before making my jolly way to the exhibition. Unfortunately work dictated that after wearing myself out throwing my Stagecoach kids onto the stage during their end of term show, I spent the rest of the evening with my head in a toilet...
    Lisa's art is wonderful in a Tim Burtony kind of way and she has a great sense of humour. I'm not allowed to buy anything though as my wife is an artist and non-home made paintings are generally frowned upon. This is hardly fair as you don't see me emtying our bookshelves of plays that other people wrote...

     
  • At 1:53 PM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Hehehe Mal! I had mine yesterday and after a scary start (they erm... didn't. They just stood there and waved at thier parents for about a minute), it all went well!

    Sha, yes I believe she does prints... check out her website www.lisafalzom.com. And I'll do a gabra for you... if you do one for me!

     
  • At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    me too me too me too me too me toooooooo. i saw her first. i did. really!!!!!!! i ADORE her work. and MUST HAVE Orpheus and Galahad. must must must.

    sob. money. wazzat?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home