the domestiC AcTresS

Stay at home with the cats... or act on stage. My lifelong dilemma.

Sunday, March 05, 2006

These things really DO only happen to me. Right?

I've been meaning to write this post for days but have been so busy that I just couldn't find the time. How is it that my whole day is always accounted for by something? Every time I think I have 5 minutes free, something crops up, or I realise that I've forgotten to do something etc etc. I need a break. But have just realised that technically (since I am using up my Easter holiday to get the blessed bathroom installed), my next really free day is in August. Hmmmmmmm...

Anyway, enough of the moaning. Let's talk about the Stagecoach Malta Drama Camp I had last weekend/half-term. Basically, Stage 3 Stagecoach students spent a fun-filled three days from Sunday to Tuesday with teachers (moi, drama teacher Toni, dance teacher Emma and music teacher Matt) and Stagecoach Principals (Edward and Marika) at Mount St Joseph near Mosta, and what a blast it was! The place is really cool with ensuite bathrooms , lovely grounds full of trees, a beautiful view and fantastic food - chicken legs, curry, cake for tea-time, ice cream and much more - yum!. And when the kids were in bed, it was time for the prinjolata and choccie cakes of course! At one point Matt turned to me and said "Do you realise that today we have already eaten 7 times?!" It was then that I resolved to goon a diet... in April!

During the day, we thought up games for the kids and Toni gave a brilliant talk on Commedia Dell'Arte which I am going to shamelessly poach for my lessons. Matt and Emma also devised a little song about Stagecoach Malta teacher to the tune of 'I like the way you move' which was a hilarious success. On Saturday evening, the kids performed bits, songs and dances from musicals for us. And on the Tuesday morning, we (the 'adults'!) even put up a short mystery murder play as a surprise for the kids which we had rehearsed a few times. It went better than expected - we all dressed up and put on make up and it was really fun. Insomma, it was all a great success.

You know, in things like this, there is always something that people remember even years later. And this time, I am doubtlessly going to be very involved in this long-lasting memory.

I had decided not to sleep over since I only live 8 minutes away (yes, I timed it). So on the Sunday evening, after the kids had gong to bed exhausted, the rest of us went into a room where we could keep an eye and ear open for any shennanigans, and we settled down to munch on the wonderful prinjolata provided by Emma's fiance and the goodies provided by one of the mummies. At about 1 am, I decided it was time for me to go home, so Marika came to the front door with me.

We get to the front door. It's locked. There is no key. A few stunned moments later, Edward and the rest come downstairs. We tell them about the situation. They guffaw hysterically (but quietly so as not to wake the kids up). Toni comes up with the bright idea of me climbing out of his (ground floor) window. We all run to his room. We open the window. The window has bars in front of it. The others all laugh hysterically with tears in their eyes. I start wishing I'd brought at least my PJ's and toothbrush.

Someone then suggests climbing out of the window of the meeting room. We all run to the other side of the building. The windows there are not barred but the gap is really small. I wonder if I can fit after eating all that prinjolata. I make it, barely. By now the hysterical laughter from the others has intensified greately. Someone hands me my bag and I run to my car. Where is my car? I've gone the wrong way. I finally find my car. As I try to fit the car key into the door, I hear loud barking coming my way. "Oh my God, they have guard dogs", squeaks my by-now demented brain. I cant find the bloody lock in the pitch darkness. I finally manage and get into my car with a sigh of relief. As I drive out of the car park and on to the private ring road, I see adorable two little doggies with collars, presumingly adopted by the Jesuits who run the place, playing in the fields.

I keep on driving and come to a... closed gate. Just as I am about to turn back in despair, they start opening veeeeeery slowly. By this time, I am also laughing hysterically. I manage to squeeze past the half-open gate. I drive home.

The next day I turn up at Mount St Joseph at 9 am (for breakfast). The others are having tea and toast. They turn to me and laugh. Edward informs me that the priests told him that the front door was not locked at all but merely fastened at the top, which I would have noticed had I bothered to check more carefully. I am now sure that I am a laughing stock in the Jesuit community.

These things really do only happen to me. Right?

10 Comments:

  • At 4:27 PM, Blogger Coemgen said…

    great!

    I was trying to imagine you trying to sneak out of the window or what would have happened if the gate was closed! tee hee hee

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger MaltaGirl said…

    *snicker*

    About a month ago, Mum asked me to bring in the washing so I was up on the roof taking it down. A little while later, she didn't realise that I was still out there, and locked the roof door... after breaking a nail trying to get it open, I tried yelling down the bitha to get someone to come and let me in. Of course, it was a freezing cold evening so all the windows were shut... eventually someone heard me (besides the amused neighbours) and Mum let me in...

    *sigh*

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Coemgen - in the state I was in by then, I may have actually tried to climb over the gate if it had been closed. Oh, and there actually is a photo of the 'window escape' on someone's mobile, but I have blotted it out of my mind, as it was too traumatic hehe!

    Zemmmmp - it's true, haven't seen you for ages! Let's schedule a coffee soon, ja?! I have to know the details of your escapade! Glad you got out of the office in one piece though!

    Maltagirl - the exact same thing happened to me last October so it wasn't so cold although it was rather windy.(but you must have been freezing miskina!)but with a twist... I locked myself out on the roof. With one of the cats. And the other one on the opposite side of the window, looking at us bemusedly. Although the window was on fly-screen, I still shouted myself hoarse until the hubby happened to come upstairs for something and released us. When I asked him if he had heard me screaming from downstairs, he said he thought it was the wind. Oh well!

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aw babe, I now realise who this Reesa is I keep reading about on other blogs. Love your blog, have saved it on my Favourites. Have finally got wireless internet that actually works and thinking about having my own blog, though exactly who's going to bother reading it is another thing completely. Will let you know anyways. Wish you could meet Zoe, our almost-three year old, she's gorgeous, you'd love her. Have to go now, good night :-)
    Tanya (ex Qalb ta' Kelb - remember when you forgot your mum's car in the Castille carpark and we got it the next day after rehearsal?)

     
  • At 10:21 AM, Blogger Giselle said…

    Lol. I loved the prinjolata comment! Maybe you'll be used as an example during a sermon 'Seek well and you will find that the door is not locked, merely latched' :)

     
  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *crying with laughter* .. oooh reese - priceless!!! whenever these things happen and you say 'they could only happen to me' think of me!!! you KNOW they happen to me too. remember me spending a night in my car last february and then having to drive to the airport cos i really needed to pee and eventually jumping over my neighbour's rooftop at 7 am?? arg!!!

     
  • At 2:16 PM, Blogger Coemgen said…

    oh, queen pea, is it not about time you get a blog? Your first post could be a detailed description of this adventure here! tee hee, hheee hee

     
  • At 3:30 PM, Blogger princess buttercup said…

    Hi Tanya! Of course I remember hehehe! Oooh, send me pics of your daughter to cor_b@yahoo.com! And I promise I will read your blog when you have one!

    Ajma G, that's a brilliant quote that I shall use in future!

    Pea, yes it's true, am glad these types of things do happen to at least one person apart from me - thank goodness!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey coem ... i WILL. one day!!! i wish there were more hours in the day. what with full time work, theatre, voice overs, part time writing, 2 dogs, 16 cats and a SHRED of a life ... a blog is just EXTRA. you know. like the mucky windows and that three week old piece of cheese lurking under the kitchen cabinets. or maybe it's a sponge. who knows?

     
  • At 11:26 PM, Blogger MaltaGirl said…

    I was thinking to myself, hmmm, for someone who doesn't have her own blog, the Kween certainly does a fair amount of writing on blogs.

    Then I thought... she's sort of like a blogless blogger, going from blog to blog subsisting on comments... sort of like a virtual Foul Ole Ron, except, of course, with much better hygiene.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home